Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So We Don't Forget


This week's topic is:


Tell us about your first house - after you were married.
OR
If you're not married, tell us a special memory about another house you lived in.


Come join in the fun.



Oh boy, what a topic, and did I wait for two long years for our first home? You betcha! (now who said that?)

When midMan and I got married we were both very very young and very unprepared. I was still in high school, with about three weeks to go, while midMan had graduated the year before. His family had just moved to my home town, where his grandma lived, after his dad had retired from the Air Force, and there were definitely no career choices or higher education available there. Needless to say neither on of us had a job, we didn't even have a car.

So on to married life.

We moved in with midMan's parents after I graduated and after they had found employment in another town. We lived with midMan's parents for the first two years of our married lives, amid many challenges, happy moments, and a few conflicts. I still have no idea how my mother-in-law put up with me. I've tried it and it is so hard to have a girl move into your home when you are used to being the only female in sight. My mom-in-law is an angel. It was a good thing that we lived with them for the two years though, they were able to finish raising us and give us a good start on being responsible adults.

So finally, after two years and the addition of our oldest son, all three of us living in one tiny little bedroom, midMan finally took the hints that his mom and I kept dropping and we finally found our own home. A cute two bedroom, one bath, brand new apartment. It was so exciting. I still had boxes and boxes of wedding gifts that we had yet to use. Image my excitement when we finally got to unpack.

Our first couch cost us $75.00 new and it felt like you were sitting on the rack in your refrigerator, I am not kidding, and we used that couch for 4 years. I was so glad to get rid of that couch. We also had two end tables that cost us $15.00 new, you know that wonderful pressed board that does not like to get wet, my sister is still using those two tables. With the addition of mom and dads old kitchen table, mom and dads old bed, mom and dads old dresser, and my brothers old crib and black and white 12 inch screen TV we were set. We had the wonderful pleasure of moving in all by ourselves, everyone else we knew were out of town. It wasn't so bad, we really did not have a whole lot to start with.

We finally got everything moved over to our new home, which was so cute and wonderful. It was perfect, the only problem we seemed to have was trying to remember the street name, 245 North Playa Della Rosita Drive. Could they make the street name any longer? I don't think so!

So off we go to the store. K-mart first for all of that wonderful cleaning stuff, the mop, the broom, and what ever else we thought we might need, including a shower curtain and rug. Then the plan was to go to the grocery store and pick up some food. Our first official shopping trip for our home. Yeah!! We were about to burst with the excitement, well at least I was, midMan probably could have cared less, he didn't like to shop much back in those days, but he sure loves to now. Anyways, here we are standing in line to make our first official-married-couple-for-our-first-home-purchase and the power goes out. Big big downer. And how dare the power go out, this is a very important moment in our lives. And K-mart was no help, they refused to take our money.

So off to the grocery store we went, which thankfully had a back-up generator, so that we could purchase our first food. I don't remember what food we bought but I am sure that it included soda, lots of soda like Mt. Dew, maybe a little milk for our oldest son, diapers, and baby food.

The power ended up being out for the whole night, so we pulled out the few candles we had, at this point in history people did not have candles in every room, and enjoyed a very quiet evening by candlelight. That apartment was so wonderful. We didn't have much but we did have each other and our cute little baby. Our family has grown a lot since that night, and I would not trade any of them for anything in this world. We have also moved a few more times since, but some days I think about going back to savor and enjoy the simpler times in our lives. That night was heaven on earth. Our first home together. Who could ask for more?

Love to All,

midRae

5 comments:

  1. Good memories. I enjoyed reading them.

    I hope that you have a great day, and I am so glad that you joined in today.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet memories...I love to think back to the simpler days when we huddled into our little apartment filled with hand- me- down furniture...good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment in Provo. In a huge complex of identical apartments. It was actually really fun because everyone living there was newly married and I still have some wonderful friends from that time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming story. :) Good thing you have a sweet mother in law. I don't think it would have worked so well in my situation - my mother in law doesn't like me - well, I think she might a little bit now.

    Isn't it fun to have your first home and be able to buy groceries for it for the first time - whatever you want! It's not quite that exciting anymore - and I only buy healthy stuff now because we get sick if I don't, but I guess I am glad I still have the freedom to buy what I choose to buy. :)

    Okay, I better get on with my day.
    Have a most lovliest weekend.
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete