Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Freshmen Football


I really do not live and die, like some folks I know, for football. I enjoy watching it, but only if it is in person, not much into watching it on TV except for the Superbowl, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with the food. I went to all of the games in high school, but we all know why girls do that. Yup, we wanted to catch the eye of some cute guy and scream along with the cheerleaders, the whole time dreaming and wishing that it was us down their being the cheerleader. For a couple of years, my high school years number 6 because our school went from 7th grade to 12th grade, I was even on the drill team and a cheerleader.


OK............

Getting back to football, as you can tell I wasn't, nor am I now, a die hard fan that lives the whole year just for fall to come and football to start.


But then something happened. Can you guess what that something is? I bet each and everyone of you, who happen to have a child, could guess. Come on, think real hard. Oh, you already guessed? I knew you would. My baby is playing football and he loves it.


He loves coming home covered in bruises and big old red marks on his arms. He loves the camaraderie with his teammates and friends. He loves the recognition from his coaches, good or bad, because they build him up and help him to find that extra little push in himself which he didn't even know he had. He just loves it and I am so glad that he does.



Football has changed my little boy into quite a young man and has also reinforced our teachings of responsibility and respect. His coaches have also incorporated weight lifting with their practices so tailEnd is getting really strong, I mean really strong. Looking at the teams line this past Thursday, it looked like tailEnd had some of the biggest calves on the team, he's also one of the bigger players. I kid you not, he grew a least a foot in the past year and he wears a size 12 shoe, and he's only 14!


Their first games this past week was a real eye opener and a big learning lesson for the boys. tailEnd is number '77' if you were wondering. He got a few good tackles and he jumped the line once, but as I said they are learning. We have to give them all a break, after all they are only freshmen, and I am sure they will show us all how awesome they really are in the next few years. I'll keep you all posted on how the team progresses. Let's hope for a growing season.


Love to All,


midRae

PS.....Yup I definitely could turn into one of those sports parents, you all know the ones I'm talking about, the obnoxious ones, yup that could be me so easily.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I hated football until Jessie started playing 5 years ago. Now I am a die hard fan especially if its a game he is playing in. But I even have taken on watching NFL games and love them too.. I even have my favorite team(s). Strange huh? It's exciting to watch your child play and learn and progress. I am glad to hear Dylan is playing FB in High school. That will teach him so much. I wish I was there in Cedar City still to cheer him on. I love supporting home town teams. So Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete