Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mill Flat Fire, New Harmony, UT

midMan and I drove over to New Harmony this past Saturday. I just wanted to cry, it looked like the burned area kept going and going. It seems like the fire burned all the way to Pinto and all the way to the top of the mountain. Our thoughts and prayers really do go out to those who have been affected. If you look at the middle of the picture below you can see the town of New Harmony, just under the smoke line. Three homes were lost along with 12 out buildings, I think. And an amazing view was also lost, but thankfully no lives.

There is a trail that starts on the south west side of New Harmony and goes all the way to Pine Valley on the other side of the mountain. It usually takes quite a long time to hike, I think maybe a day, just guessing here. Anyways, in the spring we hiked up about 4 miles of the trail, it was so pretty, and what an awesome view of New Harmony, Kannaraville, the five Kolob Fingers and I-15. We had to turn back because we didn't even have water with us, it was just one of our many weekend explorations when we are usually completely unprepared, we did have drinks in the truck at the start of the trail, lota good that us. But we swore that we wanted to come back and see if we could hike up to the top. From what we could see, everything from the start of the trail to the top of the mountain has burned, we could even see the trail going through the burned area. I guess we could still hike it, maybe next year, but I am sure it is going to be nothing like it was in the spring.


Fire is necessary, but it sure can be devastating.


Love to All,


midRae

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is HUGE! I didn't hear about that one. I am sorry that all that beautiful vegetation is gone.

    ReplyDelete