Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This Is What I Do.

OK, we all have those little things we do to help us push away the munchies. I thought I would share what has been working for me for the past 2 1/2 years.

My biggest challenge to date has been when I finally get to sit down for the evening. You know, that little bit of time you get to just relax and forget about everything else. I know, I know, you moms with little ones don't really get to have those moments yet, but wait they are coming, I promise. As you all know my youngest is 14 and there really is not much to do when it comes to keeping him occupied, he manages that quite nicely by himself, and even ropes me in sometimes.

I learned to crochet when I was 9 years old, and I really didn't keep doing it all that much as I was growing up. When my boys were younger, my Little Grandma decided to have me crochet baby sweater sets for all of her Great Grand Kids, I even manage to win a blue ribbon at the County Fair once. I then lost interest and life just went other directions. I hadn't even picked up a hook for about 15 years when I decided that it was time to lose weight. My problem, the dreaded munchies. I get bored really easily and need something to occupy my hands at all times, my solution in the past was food or another bad vice which I have since quit (3 1/2 years and counting). Food definitely does not help when your goal is to lose weight.

After a week or two of frustration, and pulling out my hair, I came upon the solution when I visited my mom and sister. There they were, both crocheting (light blub goes off above my head). I thought, 'Wow, this may work! My solution is at hand!' Or better yet, 'In my hands!'

As you can see from the sampling of photos, I have been busy. The first afghan I made (it's was like the tan one below) went to my bosses mom who was battling breast cancer, after God nudged me a little, I tell ya I am not so good a recognizing a service that I can do. She loved it! Boy was I surprised, I really didn't think it was anything to brag about, I thought I would just hide them all in the closet and when I died my boys would have to deal with them. I have given a few others away, well more than a few, I have actually lost count, they make good Christmas gifts along with a couple of movies, popcorn, and movie candy. I don't even know how many I have made.


So over the past couple of years a skill, that I learned when I was just a little girl, has helped me to become a much healthier, happier, lighter adult. I have to date lost 55lbs and am gearing up to lose at least 15 to 20 lbs more. Wish me luck.

(small sampling of the baby afghans w/ a sweater)

I am sure that there are quite a few more in my future, I have lots of Grand Babies to look forward to, I hope. And I still have more closet space to fill, especially as the boys move out. I guess I better get busy.

Love to All,

midRae

3 comments:

  1. They're all so beautiful, too!

    I need to pick up scrapbooking again. I really did eat less when I was doing it daily. It makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are very talented. Those are gorgeous. 55 lbs and counting? That is fabulous. You are right though, its the same for me, when my hands are idle I eat in boredom. I need to pick up crocheting again and see what I can do! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RAE! I want them....I really really want them. You are amazing. Magic hands. I have a light blue crocheted blanket that was given to me when Reed was born--one of the Relief Society sisters gave it to me. Every time I wrapped him in it (he was born in November....), I would think about how her hands had been all over this beautiful work of art. And I have an afghan that is from Phill's aunt--given to me when we were first married--that means just as much to me. I know it sounds weird, but this post almost makes me tear up. I suppose I have a lot of emotional ties to handmade blankets!

    ReplyDelete