Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July Parade


OK, so this past weekend, as you all know, was the 4th of July. Now we as a family are not really into all of the parades and the all day park activities. We just don't really get into it, our family is usually up in the mountains camping, fishing, and hiking. But this year was different. tailEnd, our youngest, had to march in the parade with the Cedar Middle School Marching Band. One last opportunity for a good picture of him playing his Sousaphone for the last time.


This is the best one that I could get, pretty sad when you realize he will not be playing it ever again. At least not in the next year or two unless he decides to start playing it again. But between the heat and all of the other people wanting pictures and the fact that he was a moving target, I will just have to be happy with what I got.


Now the parade itself was not to bad, it just really seemed to be a great big section of the advertisement page in the newspaper. It was pretty awesome seeing all of the Veterans and to see all of us showing our love for our country but there really wasn't much else to see because of all of the people standing in our way. It was really funny. Here we are sitting there, midMan and I have our chairs, we are ready with water, and we are at what we thought would be a great spot. Then the crowds descended.

At first we were a little taken aback with all of the people standing around us, remember we are not parade people, but then we decided to just laugh it off. I even managed to nicely hand a girl back her balloon, which she was holding, which was bopping me about the head and face, I tell you I almost didn't survive the beating. And security was no help, they were only interested in getting free food from the Quizno's cup.

Then there was the family just to the right of us. Here they came with their 8 chairs and all their other stuff. The husband didn't want to block traffic from the cross walk but his wife insisted that it would be just fine. She then proceeded to leave, along with everyone else except the husband and one kid, left sitting there with 8 chairs to watch over. When another gentleman and his children went to walk through the crosswalk, Familyman decided to inform the gentleman that 'there was going to be kids sitting there, they could not stop there!!!' We though a fist fight was in the making. But the gentleman gave way and proceeded across the street to the other side, what Familyman didn't realize is that the gentleman was only using the cross walk not taking over his spot. When Familyman's wife finally returned with their 3 year old, no one else ever did return, she proceeded to stand in front of us for the entire time we were there and the chairs ended up just taking up space.

After tailEnd was done marching, and acquiring heat stroke along the way. We chose to go home halfway through the parade, which we couldn't see anyways, so that tailEnd could feel better for Fireworks later that night with Jordyn, his friend who just happens to be a girl. tailEnd even managed to throw up on the ride home, yum....... HASHBROWNS! Eeeewwwww!!!

Life was grand at this years 4th of July Parade. And one of the cutest things I saw was this little clown.


Love to All,


midRae

5 comments:

  1. You are too funny! I hate crowds but I do tolerate it for small town parades. I really miss the small town celebrations such as Cedar City's. Parades are fun because I get to do my favorite thing and "people watch"!! However, I agree with you, I would much rather be in the mountains!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a HUGE parade. Those mountains in the background look beautiful!! We have bluffs where I live in WI and any other town that doesn't have some type of hill in the background just doesn't feel right.
    I was trying to figure out which son was yours, what's a sousaphone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom just asked me yesterday if I had talked to you lately, and I said, "no, but I need to call her" Then I get on facebook today, and somehow found your blog...SO glad I did! I just read the whole thing! I miss you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your comment on MckMama so I decided to check out your blog. Hope it's okay to comment.

    We aren't parade people either. It's one of those things that always LOOKS like fun and may even SEEM like fun in retrospect but is NOT particularly fun at the time. Your pictures definitely make it look like fun though.

    And what the heck is a Sousaphone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, for all those wondering, the Sousaphone is the great big white Tuba. They just call the big one for marching a Sousaphone.

    ReplyDelete