Thursday, December 17, 2009

Time




Time.


We all seem to be running out of it at this time of year.  We are always looking at our watches, our phones, our computers, the stove, the microwave, and a million other ways that we have available to tell us how far behind we are in time.  Some times we feel we just can't catch up.  And then some days we get to just sit and forget that there are so many things taking up our time.  Just like the other evening when I was trying really hard to do this, sitting on the couch visiting with midMan and tailEnd, when.............


tailEnd asked me what time it was.  I told him to look over his shoulder and he could see what time it was.  He looked over his shoulder, at my cute little wall arrangement which you see above, looked back at me with a sheepish little grin and said, 'What time is it?' 


HUH?!?!  WHAT?!?!

That's what I thought, seriously.  

But then I remembered that tailEnd has forever, at least since I got this clock, had a really hard time figuring out what time it is.  Is it the Roman Numerals, the clock itself, or are the words a big distraction?  What is it about this clock? 

As I thought about it, I realized that most everything that we look at today to see 'what time it is', is digital.  To us older folks we look at this clock and just know what time it is, it's second nature.  We do not even have to think about it.  We just know.  Our children on the other hand have always had something digital real close, like the microwave, phone, computer, alarm clock, there are a million more ways, to tell them what time it is.


I am not going to get real philosophical about this, whew that was a hard one to spell, but I bet if you ask your children you will find that they too, would hesitate in telling you what time it is if they were looking at my clock.  I don't think it makes tailEnd any less smart than he is, and he is really brilliant (like all of my boys), on course to graduate high school with an Associates Degree from SUU, but I do believe this is something he should be more comfortable with. 

I think we all know what tailEnd is going to be working on this Christmas holiday.  And please don't judge him; I think I am the one who has been more than a little remiss in their duties as a parent.

HUH?!  Go figure.  That would never be me.

Love to All,

midRae


PS...Yes I did take the photo of the Grandpa Tree.  I am glad that it was so well received.  I'm really working on all of the photography stuff so hopefully I will say that it can only get better from here.

2 comments:

  1. It is still hard for me to tell time on an analog clock! That's the digital age for you.

    Love your arrangement! Where did you get the words? I actually have the Live one, a gift from a Visiting Teacher in Cedar City. I'd love to add the other two to my wall...it seems more complete that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's difficult for my kids too. But its something important to learn. Don't they teach it in schools anymore? Or are we just that dependent on digital?

    ReplyDelete