Friday, January 15, 2010

Flatbeds & Farmers



This black flatbed is midMan's truck.  He loves his truck, I honestly think he loves it more than me.  Just kidding, I know he love me more some of the times, like when I cook Marlboro Man Favorite Sandwich, which can be found here.  Boy, midMan and tailEnd sure do go crazy with the drooling when I make it.  I usually have to get out of the kitchen real quick so that I don't get trampled in the stampede.  Yes, they are that good!  You should all try them.


Anyways, back to flatbed trucks and farmers.  Now my midMan is anything but a farmer.  He's a truck driver by trade and a lover of the solitude in the mountains the rest of the time, and the seeker of big deer.  But he just had to have this truck.  And seriously folks,  isn't it just the quintessential farmer truck?  I know it is, and you would realize it also if you only paid as much attention to other flatbed trucks as we do now that we own one.  I am serious.  It's like now that we have a flatbed truck midMan is now part of some 'Farmer Flatbed Truck Fraternity'.  All that we need to complete the picture is the two ranch dogs lying in the bed of the flatbed truck while the other 2 ranch dogs race frantically to and fro.  Oh, and a couple bails of hay.


This is what happens when we drive down the road.  We will pass someone else in a flatbed truck and we will get the little finger wave.  I kid you not!  Ever since we have owned the flatbed truck we get nothing but nice little waves from every one else who owns a flatbed truck.  There was even one time midMan was sitting at the stoplight and a young kid, about 18, drives up next to midMan, looks at midMan's flatbed truck, and gives him two thumbs up.  Seriously!


And it doesn't just happen with flatbeds.  We owned a Jeep, which midMan had to sell to get the flatbed truck, and every person that we passed, who also happened to be in a Jeep, would give us the finger wave.  You know, the slight lifting of the finger from the steering wheel.  Yes, that one.  I am almost amazed.


I asked midMan, 'What is up with this?'  And his reply was, 'It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.'  Man, did he love that Jeep.  It's was pretty hard for him to part with it but he wanted to join the 'Farmer Flatbed Truck Fraternity'.  I bought him a banner to put on the windshield of his Jeep, and I bet you can't guess what it said.


Yup!  'It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.'


But my question is, does this happen with all men, who own a certain type of vehicle?  I mean do guys who drive Ford F150's give each other the finger wave when they pass?  Do the guys who drive Chevy Blazers do the same thing?  What about the poor guy who is stuck driving the Ford Taurus (I just really hate this car, sorry folks) finger wave or not?  Do Jaguar owners do this as they weave in and out of traffic getting looks of envy? 


I mean you just don't see us girls, driving our Jeep Liberty's or Chevy Tahoe's giving each other the little finger wave.  Maybe we are too busy yelling at the kids in the back seat, I don't know.  Oh wait, I know.  Maybe we should all come up with something so we can be in a 'Soccer Mom Chevy Tahoe Club'.  Maybe we could flip our hair to the right, or just wipe the sweat from our poor overworked foreheads.  Wouldn't that make us the envy of every man out there?  NOT!!  It's just not as cool as the little finger wave.


Anyways I just don't get it, but I do get to live with it.  I will still shake my head in wonder each time we pass a flatbed truck and receive the one finger wave, but I am still considering the flip of the hair to the right wave for us girls.  

Anybody with me?


Love to All,


midRae

1 comment:

  1. I have not noticed the finger wave thing, but I think most dad's now a days get to the point where they have to admit in one way or another that the minivan is unfortunately the best way to go with little ones...Joe swore he'd NEVER own a minivan, until his "cool" friend got one. It's happened to other people we know also....he longs for the day when he can get a truck though and perhaps join the ranks of the cooler men again :)

    ReplyDelete