Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I Just Don't Get It.

This ladies and gentlemen is my oven, and it hates me. (the pig is to remind me to stop eating, isn't he cute) It seems like in the past year it has gone from being my best friend to being the one thing in my live I really wish not to see on a daily basis. I just don't get it! I mean I can cook, most of the time, but in the past year every time I try to bake a cake it falls, flat as flat can be. And sometimes they will even remind you of that flat, rubbery, basketball sitting in the garage. My dinner rolls, oh my gosh, only half will raise. How did that happen?! Come on oven give me a break.


So after much discussion and debate we have come up with the following causes of my failure:
  • old baking soda
  • old baking powder
  • new mixer
  • operator error (this one is still in the running for #1)
  • inaccurate temperature

I threw out the old baking soda and baking powder. Still using the new mixer, I paid good money for it, if it's the issue it will look really good sitting on my counter never getting used. Operator error??? Yup it could definitely be that. Inaccurate temperature, well we found a temperature thingy at Ross and are giving it a go. As far as I can tell it's a crap shoot with me trying to get an accurate temperature even with the thingy sitting in the middle of the oven.

Shortbread Cookies
(from HERE)
Burnt Shortbread Cookie! The recipe said 325 degree oven for 20 minutes. These burnt after 15 minutes. I am at a total loss and just don't get it.

As you can see I adjusted the time and the ones on the left turned out a little better.

I can't figure it out. I am a total loss. And if it is operator error then there is no hope for my family. They will just have to live with what ever I can manage to make happen when I bake with my old best friend.

Love to All,

midRae

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you need a new oven. Maybe it is not working properly. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete