Friday, August 21, 2009

Growing Up.


It was just brought to my attention today that my baby, tailEnd, is growing up. But first I need to give you all a little background.


The past two weeks have been so busy. We have been getting tailEnd to football practice everyday and also getting midMan ready for the bow hunt. Then to add to the chaos my mom and dad have been married for 50 years and we are planning a nice little lunch and remembering for them this Saturday. Then we had to register tailEnd at two different schools and take care of fees at both of the schools. And the icing on the cake was midMan's dad having a heart attack this past Tuesday, and yes, he is going to be just fine, but like I said life has been so chaotic lately that some things just get forgotten.


Yes, I did it, I forgot something in all of that mess. It wasn't anything really major, just money so that tailEnd would be able to eat a little lunch each day. Sooooo, yesterday was the first day of school and it dawn's on me that he has no money and will get no lunch. Now this is tailEnd we are talking about and he is growing into a man. You know how 14 year old boys will down 2 gallons of milk at one sitting and eat the whole package of Oreo's with it, well that would be tailEnd times 2.

So I left work and ran over to his school to get him some money and the girls in the office just sent me to his gym class. Here he sits, listening to his teacher, being such a great kid and in walks, oh no, his mom. He just wanted to be sucked up by the floor. I told his teacher I needed to talk with the kid with the big hair, not even realizing that it may embarrass him. She sent him over to me and I gave him the money that he would need for the next two weeks and explained to him that this was all that he would get and once it was gone there would be no more until the two weeks had passed. He's all serious and say, 'OK, I got it mom.' Then he says in an inaudible whisper, 'No hug.' I said, 'What?', and he said, 'Don't hug me.' He was so cute I really did want to hug him at this point, but I restrained myself, just barely! I realized that the time had come, a little later than normal for most kids, that my baby is embarrassed by his mother. sniff sniff sniff How sad, and doesn't is just make you want to cry. Now that I think about it I should have done cartwheels across the floor to really embarass him.


Just a reminder to all of those parents out there. There will come a time in each of our children's lives when a hug, or holding their hand, or giving them a kiss, is just not cool anymore and we as parents need to resist the urge to just override their feelings. But keep in mind that when they are hurt or sad or just lonely they will always come to you and need that kiss, that hug, or to just be held by Mom.


Love to All,


midRae

2 comments:

  1. My princess is 20 months and I can't believe it. Time flies! I am trying to capture it all so I won't forget. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... your post has made me miss my Jessie and Shellise so much. However, I really liked reading what you had to say... so thank you.

    ReplyDelete