Friday, March 5, 2010

Elements are.....

what makes a photo pop, standout, grab you by the eyes, and keeps you coming back, what drew you in, is very obvious, visual structure is obvious in the frame.

Composition is the pleasing arrangement of elements within the frame of a photograph and it's up to us, photographers or photographer want-to-be's, to make this happen.  I think we all understand, up to a point, that there is just something about that photo that keeps bringing you back. You are not sure exactly what that something is but it just feels right. 

As I said in my last post, I will explain, at least to the extent that I know and understand, what the Elements are that are needed for a pleasing and even great composition.  Please remember that I took this homework assignment literal and these photos, that I am about to share (beware), are not my favorite's, I have done much better in the past.  Along with still trying to get the exposure correct I have OCD and I am not afraid to use it as an excuse.  I am usually a very literal person and I am terrified of ever doing anything incorrect.  I can be creative and love color, sunsets, and can usually see things in an artistic manner, but when I am given a specific assignment, you will get what that assignment was.  No artistic midRae in the mix. 

Onward!!!  Be brave folks.

The first thing you need to ask yourself and answer if possible are the following questions:
  • Whole or Part?  Should I shoot them all, wide, close-up, etc..
  • Vertical or Horizontal?  Try both.
  • Framing?  What's in, what's out?
  • Background?  Make sure to see everything, look.  You don't want weird things happening.
And now to our first element:

Spot:  a central, most dominate, simple pinpoint, draws the eye, central focus point.



This is an example of Spot photography with Dept of Field.  It also shows Texture.

Line:  series, create line, simple background


This is an example of Line and Texture.

Shape:  prominate structure, bigger, fills frame, mass, simple background


This is an example of Shape and Contrast.

Texture:  surface visually interesting, touch the object, walk through.


It's a little hard to see in the particular picture, but the house is covered in asphalt shingles, my idea of a good example of Texture.  But you may not want to walk through this place.

Pattern:  repetition, repeat, strong visual.



This is an example of Pattern, Repetition, Shape, and Line.

Contrast, Value, Tone:  various levels of light, contrast dark to light.



This one is pretty obvious.  Contrast, Self-portrait if you want, or not.

Color:  create interest, color is a strong element, gives appeal.  Make sure that one or more colors dominate.



Color, but also Spot.

So there you go a few example of how you should never take photography literal.  But they are all good examples of each of the Elements.  The only thing I can say as a new photographer is take lots of photos, practice, practice, practice.  With practice you will learn what is pleasing and what isn't.  I think we all have our favorite kinds of shots and the trick for us is to make it appealing to others.  We also need to remember that a lot of the times we react to a photo with emotions, the photo will have an emotional attachment for us.  Something speaks to us.  We hope to make our photos speak to others and touch them just as they have touched us. 


Just like my photos of 'Grandpa Trees' speak to and touch me.

Love to All,

midRae
The Accidental Photographer

1 comment:

  1. I like! The lesson and the photos to demonstrate the different elements. You did a great job and I learned something. Now I must also practice!

    ReplyDelete