Monday, May 11, 2009

OUR GARDEN

15 years ago I tried to grow a garden in the middle of the desert in St. George, Utah. I planted my corn in May when I should have planted it in February. It only grew to be 2 feet tall and the Rolie Polies decided that they would have a feast of the rest of my little garden. At that point I decided that apparently I had a black thumb and I should never ever attempt to grow another living thing outside. Pots in the house are good but getting any where near the outdoors with a living plant and the Rolie Polies line up for a feast. You would think that I would have learned.


But.........

As you can see we have decided to attempt it again. Only this time we have decided to armor plate our planting area. We have planted our garden in an old water heater that had been turned into a trough. I talked midMan into letting me use it. He was planning on putting it in the mountains by a spring so that he could have a good spot to deer hunt. He has two of them so I am hoping I can keep this one. But I digress. We are hoping this will keep the Rolie Polies at bay. But you never know, I have found them upstairs in my house. I really believe that they are my nemesis.


We have planted jalapenos.


And tomatoes. With salsa in our mind. Hot, spicy, homemade and yummy.

We have even planted some Zucchini. We are being quite adventurous here.

Our neighbors gave us a few strawberries last year and they seem to be taking off this year. Hopefully we will get a few good ones.

But I really believe that the saving grace for our garden this year and the only thing that will make it grow and prosper is our youngest son, tailEnd, playing Guitar Hero World Tour to our garden. You know they say that music will make your garden grow. Let's hope it keeps the Rolie Polies (savage beasts that they are) away, too.

Love Always,

midRae

Things to Remember.......................Growing up my mom had a huge strawberry patch. I can remember sitting in the middle of it and eating strawberries until I was sick. I loved that strawberry patch and was so sad the day we sold the house. The new owners got to keep the strawberries and my mom never planted any more. Hopefully ours will prosper and grow and I can go sit in the middle of it and eat until I am sick. But this time I think I will take some fat free whipped topping with me. Yum!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Looking good. We just barely planted ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are going to have great luck this year. We just planted our peas but need to plant some more soon. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to remember the Guitar secret. I have a black thumb, myself.

    We are infested with the roly-polies. Joel sprayed for ants around the house and every morning there are hundreds of dead roly-polies by my front door. I sweep them away, only to have hundreds more the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh--I too, am cursed with the Black Thumb of Death. But I have managed to keep two house plants alive. This bodes well for me. We have some aspirations of a garden next year...I think we're too late now to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh--and my mom used to sing to our plants. :) Now Reed does.

    ReplyDelete